The holiday shopping season is upon us, but there is still time to add to your sales and advertising plans for 4th quarter. Do you know what your customers will be looking for this year? Are you ready to provide them with the gifts and ideas they need to make the sale? The facts and statistics below are provided to arm you with the information you need to put together a successful holiday marketing plan.
Did you know that over 165 million people shopped between Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday in 2018, and that each person spent an average of $313 during this time frame? Did you know that the average holiday shopper purchased 16 gifts during the 2018 holiday season? Retail surveys indicate that the 2019 holiday season will see yet another increase this time of approximately 3-4% over 2018. The holiday gift buying season is one of the most diverse purchasing holidays of the year. Even with the wide variety of gift options available, most holiday purchases fall into one of the categories listed below.
- 61% of adults will purchase clothing and accessories.
- 30% of consumers will spend money on electronics.
- 20% of buyers will simply give cash as a gift.
- Gift card purchases are made by 56% of all shoppers.
- 44% of shoppers will by some form of media items such as games, videos, books, or music.
- Toys are bought by 42% of all shoppers.
- Food or candy purchases are made by 31% of buyers.
- Personal care and health and beauty items will be purchased by 25% of shoppers.
- 21% of those buying Christmas gifts will purchase one or more pieces of jewelry.
- 20% of shoppers will go buy something from the furnishings or home decor department.
- The sporting goods and leisure section will see 17% of shoppers making a purchase.
- The average shopper will spend over $100 on themselves during Christmas shopping
- The busiest shopping day is no longer Black Friday but the Saturday before Christmas.
- Shoppers who are single will make impulse purchases 45% more often than married ones.
- 46% of all holiday shopping occurs online.
- December 15 through the 24th may account for 40% of all Christmas sales.
- Holiday shopping can account for up to 30% of all retail sales.
- 21% of shoppers will do their shopping via a mobile device.
- 45% of buyers say they plan on doing some holiday shopping at a grocery store.
Need help generating sales this holiday season? Contact TMM today and let us help you succeed this holiday season!
Sources: muchneeded.com/christmas-statistics; websitesetup.org/holiday-ecommerce-marketing-statistics